Selling your home quickly is something that every homeowner wants to do. It can seem that you have to contend with forces out of your control: interest rates, other homes on the market, the number of buyers on the market, the appeal of your (older) home to current tastes.
While there are factors you can’t control, there is one huge thing that you can - the look of your home for potential buyers.
Here is a list of things that you can do to help sell your home more quickly, most costing less than $150 to do:
- Paint the front door – If your HOA allows it, paint it! Red is always popular, but you could try a blue or even yellow. Make it stand out in the minds of buyers as they arrive at your house.
- Sod bare areas – Not a lot of homes here in the desert still have lawns, but if your home still has grass, buy a few square yards of sod and patch areas that are bare.
- Plant flowers - A living yard is a welcome sight. Even if the new owners don’t plan to plant any flowers, it’s nice to see when you drive up.
- New light fixtures - Replace old light domes and put in new light bulbs.
- New outlet covers - These covers tend to get dirty over time and it’s a small, but noticeable, touch to replace them around the house.
- Fresh paint - Put a coating of paint up in the living room, kitchen, and hallways are among the easiest ways to brighten the house.
- Declutter - Remove some of the furniture from the living room and elsewhere. Often, our living rooms can get cluttered with furniture and it makes it hard for buyers to envision their stuff in the room.
- Depersonalize - Take down family photos, etc. This can help to make your house look more like a show house. It also takes away some of the feelings that people have when they think about taking over someone else’s house.
- Deep clean - Hire a cleaning service to deep clean the house for you. Dusting, shampooing carpets, and scrubbing everything very well will help to sell the house much faster.
Selling your home is often a tough decision, but it can be done well. With a little help from you, your real estate agent can move the home much faster. Cosmetic changes are just that, cosmetic, but they are great for helping buyers decide to choose your home over another one.