If you're ready to buy a home, here's a quick list of what you need to do to make your life easier:
- How much house do you need? How many bedrooms and bathrooms? How many will you need in 5 years?
- What amenities do you need? A pool, an office, a garden? What are mandatory and which ones would be nice?
- Do you need good schools? Public transportation? Access to work?
- What type of place do you want to live? Small town, suburb, in the city?
- How much house can you afford? Start with mortgage broker and find the best deal you can in mortgages and down payments.
- Make sure you have enough money for closing costs and moving costs.
- Use a map to figure out where you want to live. If you're from the area, you might already know, but if you're coming from a long way away, you might need to look around.
- Look online and drive the neighborhoods. Get a sense for what it's like.
- Find a buyer's agent. You might find an agent that takes a flat fee and works just for you. This means they will work harder to get you the lowest price.
- Make your offer. Don't get your heart set until it's accepted. It's not your house yet until the keys are in your hand and there are a lot of reasons that things can go wrong.
There might be other steps, but this quick checklist will help you get a clear understanding of where to start and help you get on the right track.