There are lots of lists of things that you should do in order to sell your house. That’s great, but you don't usually hear about the stuff that you shouldn’t do.
Here’s a short list of things not to do when selling your house.
- Don’t hang around when the house is being shown - Lots of sellers hang around while their home is being shown and talk to buyers. Don’t. Let the professionals sell your house. You might find yourself talking a buyer out of purchasing your home.
- Don’t over-decorate - Sometimes people will put up all kinds of decorations for the holidays or just to make the house look great. In fact, the goal is to leave room in the house for their stuff. Make it so that they can see what their stuff would look like in your house.
- Take it easy on the improvements - Very often, please will start doing lots of improvements. They will spend a lot of money on buying lots of new appliances and stuff. Don’t. There’s a really good chance you won’t get the money back when you sell.
- It’s not personal - Our house is our identity. When someone comes into your house and they don't like it, it’s not about you. Your house is just a building. It’s really about the house fitting their needs.
- Be patient - Your house might not sell the first time it’s shown or the tenth or the fiftieth. The more expensive or unusual it is, the harder it might be to sell. Keep your patience and the right buyer will come along.
Taking care of the house is important and we have a few blogs that will give you some ideas on what you need to do. Nonetheless, there are still some things that you shouldn’t do.